close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

City Recorder

City Recorder, Monica Myers
Office: 112 City Center Drive
Mailing: PO Box 530
Jefferson City, TN 37760
Phone: 865-475-9071
Fax: 865-475-8224
The City Recorder serves as the head of the department of finance and exercises a general supervision over the fiscal affairs of the city and general accounting supervision over all the city’s property, assets, and claims. The city recorder acts as the general accountant and Certified Municipal Finance Officer and internal auditor of the city, and has custody of all papers, records, and vouchers relating to the fiscal affairs of the city. The recorder serves as the treasurer of the city, collecting, receiving, and receipting for the property taxes, business taxes, and all other revenues and bonds of the city. The city recorder is present at all meetings of the council and keeps a record of all business transacted. The recorder is the custodian of public records.

The City Recorder’s office is located in City Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. You can reach the city recorder by phone at 865-475-9071. You may submit applications and fees to the City Recorder’s office in person at City Hall or by mail at PO Box 530.

To request public records, please fill out the form below and submit it to the City Recorder’s office.

Public Records Request Form

Jefferson City  Municipal Code

The Jefferson City Municipal Code contains the codification and revision of the ordinances of Jefferson City, TN. These ordinances must be followed by the Jefferson City government and the public.

Municipal Code

Property Tax

The current tax rate for Jefferson City is $1.20 per $100 assessed value on real and personal property. Property taxes are payable on and after October 1 and become delinquent on March 1. You may pay your property tax in person at City Hall or by mail, or you can pay online with a credit card.

Property Assessment Data
Pay Property Tax Online

Business Tax

The City Recorder’s office handles city business taxes. To register for business taxes, fill out the Business Tax Registration Application. This application asks for information about the business and its owner(s). After filling out the application, submit it to the City Recorder’s office in person or by mail.

Transient Vendor, Peddler, and Solicitor Permits
No person, firm, or corporation may operate a business as a transient vendor, peddler, solicitor, or street barker, and no solicitor for charitable or religious purposes or solicitor for subscriptions may solicit within Jefferson City, unless the individual or organization has obtained a permit. Each applicant must complete an application and submit it to the City Recorder with a $20.00 application fee.

Transient vendors must also apply for a license to operate in the city of Jefferson City. Fill out the form and submit it to the City Recorder with a $57.00 application fee. A transient vendor’s license allows the transient vendor to operate for 14 days from the date of issuance.

Beer Permits and Liquor Permits

To sell, store, manufacture, or distribute beer or liquor in Jefferson City, your business must follow certain guidelines outlined in the Alcohol Ordinance as well as obtain the appropriate permit(s). To register for a beer permit, fill out the permit application and supply the necessary information about the business and its owner. You will be asked to pay a $250.00 application fee when you submit the permit application.

To apply for a liquor permit, fill out the permit application and supply the necessary information. When you submit the application in person or by mail, please include the $250.00 application fee.

The City Recorder may also request a criminal background check from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to ensure you are eligible for a beer or liquor permit. You may be asked to pay an additional fee for the background check.

Permit holders will then need to pay a $100.00 privilege tax at the beginning of each year.

Animal Registration

Every owner of a dog in Jefferson City must apply for an animal registration tag on or before May 1 of every year. To register your animal, come by City Hall to fill out a form and submit written and signed evidence of vaccination from an accredited veterinarian. At this time you must also pay a $2.00 fee for each dog you are registering. Once you receive a registration tag, you must then attach it to a collar or harness worn by the dog.

Additional Links

Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Business Tax1 document

  • Business Tax Registration Application
    document seq 0.00

Transient Vendor, Peddler, and Solicitor Permits3 documents

  • Vendor, Peddler, Solicitor Ordinance
    document seq 0.00
  • Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Transient Vendor License
    document seq 0.00

Beer Permits and Liquor Permits4 documents

  • Alcohol & Beer Board Ordinance
    document seq 0.00
  • Beer Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Liquor Permit Application
    document seq 0.00
  • Criminal Record Request
    document seq 0.00

Animal Registration1 document

  • Animal Ordinance
    document seq 0.00