The City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of Jefferson City and its personnel. The City Manager works under the direction of the Mayor and City Council to implement policies set forth by them. The City Manager oversees approximately 110 full-time city employees in six departments as well as 20 to 40 part-time and seasonal employees.
James A. Gallup currently serves as the recently appointed City Manager of Jefferson City, Tennessee, with duties and responsibilities managing the full-service municipality located in Jefferson County.
James previously served as the Assistant to the City Manager in Athens, Tennessee, after completing a 2-year Public Management Fellowship with the Municipal Technical Advisory Service, an agency of the University of Tennessee’s Institute of Public Service. Prior to his career in local government, James was committed to service, duty, and country as an officer of the United States Air Force, serving as an Air Battle Manager aboard the E-8C JSTARS, deploying in support of operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Arabian Gulf. After four deployments, James was Honorably Discharged in 2015.
James is now a Jefferson County resident along with his wife, Beth, and four young children of ages 11, 6, 2, and 5 months old. He enjoys volunteering for local service opportunities, seeking always to be an active contributing member of his community. Gallup is an advocate for veteran affairs, a die-hard Tennessee Volunteers fan, and an amateur rugby player.
Education & Development
- 2022 | SEI-LEAD: Leading Educating, & Developing Program (Univ. of VA Institute of Government)
- 2022 | Municipal Management Academy Level 2 (Univ. of Tennessee Institute of Public Service – MTAS)
- 2021 | Emerging Leaders Development Program (International City/County Management Association)
- 2021 | Municipal Management Academy Level 1 (Univ. of Tennessee Institute of Public Service – MTAS)
- 2017 | Master of Public Policy & Administration (University of Tennessee, Knoxville)
- 2010 | US Air Force Officer Training School (Maxwell AFB, Alabama)
- 2007 | B.A. – Political Science/Public Admin | Minor: Economics (University of Tennessee, Knoxville)
- 2005 | A.A. – Political Science (Pellissippi State Technical Community College)
- Tennessee City Management Association
- International City/County Management Association
* Veterans Advisory Committee (Programs & Public Relations Subcommittees)
Civic Affiliations (Current)
- Military Officer’s Association of America
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- American Legion
Awards & Recognitions
- Daily Post-Athenian’s 20 Under 40
- Cunningham Award for Internship Excellence & Professional Promise (2017)