close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Water & Sewer

Jefferson City’s Water & Sewer services are handled by Public Works and the Water Plant. These services are intended to provide quality water and sanitary sewer disposal to customers in the Jefferson City community.
To report water or sewer leaks/spills, call Public Works at 865-475-6617 or the Water Plant at 865-475-3251. If you are calling after hours, please call the Water Plant.

Call Before You Dig – 811

Before you dig, call 811 to make sure you do not unintentionally dig into an underground utility line. You should call 811 a few business days before you begin any digging project, from small projects like planting trees or installing a mailbox to large projects like building an in-ground pool. After calling, wait a few days to make sure all utilities have responded to your request before you break ground. Once all utilities have marked their buried lines, you may dig, but be careful around any utility marks.
Sewer Tips

  • Do not flush excessive amounts of toilet paper.
  • Flushable wipes are NOT flushable. Flushable wipes will not break down the same as toilet paper. Even though they may flush from the toilet, they have a tendency of gathering inside the sewer line and will cause sewer blockages.
  • Feminine Hygiene products should not be flushed down the toilet. These products, like flushable wipes, can cause sewer blockages.
  • Grease is another contributing factor to many sewer blockages. Pouring grease down the drain of your sink should be avoided. Instead, empty the grease into a throwaway container and wipe any left out with a paper towel before placing the dish in the sink to wash.
  • Avoid planting any shrubs or trees near the sewer line. The sewer line acts as a source of water and fertilizer for the roots of these plants. The roots will seek out the constant source of nutrients provided from the sewer line, and blockages or line breakdown will occur.
  • Maintain all sewer cleanouts and ensure they are easily accessible. The sewer cleanouts provide access to the sewer line. Ensuring that they are not mowed down or buried can make repairs to the line easier and cheaper on the customer.
Water Loss Control

The Public Works Department is responsible for making sure any leaks in the public water system are found and fixed in a timely manner. Any leaks that occur on the house side of the meter are the homeowner’s or occupant’s responsibility. If we notice that your water consumption has increased during a billing period, we will notify you that you may want to check for a leak. Because even a small leak can waste thousands of gallons of water and significantly increase your water bill, you should investigate your premises or call upon the services of your plumber immediately.
Backflow Prevention and Cross Contamination

Anything you attach to your plumbing that can possibly introduce chemicals or contaminants into our drinking water supply is a potential cross-connection. A cross-connection is any temporary or permanent connection between the potable public water system and another non-potable water source or potential contaminant. This can include fire protection systems, irrigation systems, alternative water sources, and processes that use equipment, chemicals, or tools.
If your water may introduce the potential for contamination, you will need to install a backflow device. This device prevents water from being able to flow backward from your plumbing into the public water system in the event the system loses pressure.
Residential customers that need to install a backflow device must install a Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow device on domestic water lines and chemical system fire lines. Commercial customers must additionally install a Y-strainer in front of the backflow device.
Storm Drains

Jefferson City uses a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) to prevent and reduce flooding. The city follows practices to prevent and reduce the pollution of our water from storm drains, and we encourage our citizens to do the same.
The MS4 general permit is mandated by the federal regulations under the Clean Water Act and administered by the Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation. The permit requires construction-site runoff controls, post-construction runoff controls, and pollution prevention measures.
Anything that goes into a storm drain is flushed with rainwater or daily urban runoff then flows untreated into our rivers and lakes. This means that any pollution that goes into the drain will also pollute our water sources. Some of the main things that cause pollution include:
  • Used motor oil and grease from automotive maintenance, urban housekeeping, construction, spills and illegal dumping
  • Antifreeze, cleaners, and solvents from automotive maintenance, urban housekeeping and landscaping, building and grounds maintenance, spills and illegal dumping
  • Sediment from construction erosion, landscaping, building and ground maintenance
  • Pet droppings, viruses, and bacteria from urban housekeeping, non-storm water connections to storm drains
  • Grounds and building maintenance such as trimming trees, landscaping, lawn care activities, tree and park maintenance, home and yard maintenance
When these pollutants flow into the storm sewer system, they can have harmful effects, including:
  • Clogging storm drains and causing neighborhood flood conditions
  • Costing taxpayers for local cleanup
  • Reducing our quality of life
  • Harming the freshwater habitat of our rivers and lakes
  • Contaminating and killing fish and other wildlife

Instead of letting these pollutants flow into storm drains, properly dispose of materials in dumpsters, garbage storage, and recycling bins. When applicable, install berms, curbing, or vegetation strips around garbage storage areas to control water entering/leaving the areas. You should also store garbage containers beneath a covered structure or inside to prevent contact with stormwater. Keep landscaping pollutants (lawn clippings, tree debris, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.) from getting into storm drains as well.
Call City Hall, Public Works, or the Water Plant to notify us of any spills or illicit discharge that may cause pollution or damage to the environment so that we can get them cleaned up before they make their way into our water.